Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Project 4


Building on the theme of examining what society finds valuable and drawing from my daily experience living/going to school in Albuquerque, I'd really like my fourth project to deal with the issue of homelessness. I've always thought it was peculiar how insular and removed UNM as an institution seems from Albuquerque as a city (and its problems at such). Additionally, its interesting how well social divisions persist despite the fact that students and the local homeless occupy very much the same spaces, whether around central or even on campus. The goals of this project would be: 1. To get UNM students involved in the welfare of the larger Albuquerque community 2. Opening a dialogue about homelessness, its ethical implications and its possible solutions.




I'd like to do something along the lines of this project done in Chicago in 2009, where volunteers made pinatas stuffed with emergency blankets and placed them in the underpasses where the local homeless typically slept. I really like the idea of anonymous care packages, although I think using non-perishable food and water might be a good variation. I feel the light-hearted shape of the pinatas makes the offer seem more genuine as opposed to out of pity or obligation. I'd like to use a similar light-hearted packaging of some sort, perhaps presents?

1 comment:

  1. This is a good goal, and I could see this actually happening. But, like I said to David, it can be difficult to dive in and work with a community that you don't have previous ties to. It can take a long time to build trust and communication with underprivileged groups. Is there a group that you already have a connection to that could use a care package?

    ReplyDelete