Monday, March 19, 2012

Confessions of a Janitor

Here are a few hasty notes from the interview
Name: Lorraine Tapia
How long have you worked as a janitor at UNM: 6 months
Shift: 8-4:30pm
Overall experience on the job: Nice, I like the job. The students are respectful. All of my coworkers are friendly and I get along with everyone really well.
Did you know anyone before you began working at UNM? No, I didn’t know anyone at all.
Which dorm do you usually work in: I started out a Coronado and floated around a bit, working in almost every dorm. Now I’m working in Alvarado. But I don’t mind it. This way I get to work with everyone.
Favorite job activity: Oh, I don’t know. I guess mopping.
Best on the job experience: Because my coworkers and I all get along we joke around a lot on the job, It creates a fun environment to work in. I can’t think of anything really specific.
Hobbies: listening to music, mostly classic rock or oldies, or hanging out with friends. I own a Harley so some weekends we will ride around the Sandia’s or go on long rides out of town.
Favorite color: white
Do you have children: I had three kids, now I only have two. My son died of cancer 10 years ago.
Which part of town to you live on: I live on the west side.
How long does it usually take for you to get to work: About ten minutes. I take the freeway.

*Lorraine was very kind throughout the interview. Even her volunteering to help me out was thoughtful. During the interview, I had to prompt her for extra information because most of her answers were short. When she started talking about her Harley, however, you could tell from her facial expressions and the tone of her voice that she was excited. She was a Hispanic woman in her late 30’ s-40. During the interview she wore her pale blue uniform, her hair was dyed a lighter brown, and she had earrings in. What I wanted to do with this interview is capture both the woman we see on the job as we walk the dorm halls, and the woman only those better acquainted with Lorraine get to see: her passions and a little more about her life. Talking to Lorraine for a bit longer, and in perhaps a different setting (she was at work) I might have found out even more about her life…. For now my art project will resemble only a glimpse of the woman, her work, and my personal interpretations and aesthetics interpretation of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment