Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Please take me! Glass Bottles at Bus Stops





I wanted this project to involve more interaction between the artist and also interaction between other people. Instead of hanging the glass bottles, I made them more accessible by simply placing them on the ground or on benches. I continued to use bus stops as the location for each bottle. I placed two bottles at each bus stop along Central. On the side of each bottle is a note that says "Please take me!" The note also lists several options on what you can do if you find the bottle (keep it, give it to a friend, place it somewhere else, etc.) One of the options reads "Let me know what you did with it/where you placed it by emailing me at samantharaeandrews@gmail.com" I wanted people to have the opportunity to connect with me and let me know what they did with the bottle instead of it remaining a mystery. The meaning of the project remains to stop and appreciate the little things that we usually pass by or take for granted. However, this time I think the message can be passed on to others because the directions on the bottle are more explicit. I wanted this project to spark conversation between people at the bus stop because during my interview I discovered that many people don't communicate at all when they commute on public transportation. I also wanted this project to be less noticeable than my previous one because I believe that someone (security, APD, custodians) may have removed the glass bottles that were hanging on the metal fence. I think this project is more subtle, and therefore more personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment