Monday, March 26, 2012






What caught my attention most about Lorraine was that she liked to ride a Harley. When I picture a Harley I picture ruff, dirty, older, tatted men with skin so stretched and ruff you could sand down a toboggan with it. Lorraine is an older woman with adult kids, she is kind, and from what I could tell her skin looked pretty darn moisturized.  This lady seems so far distant from the image I have of motorcycle wielders.  Where does her life as a janitor end and her life as a hard ass woman begin?  That when I realize they have always been the same... it's just the first time I've  realized it, because I took the time to talk to her.  My piece combines a few key elements from the interview: Harley, a mop, and her favorite color white.  The mop both references to her job, but also is her favorite task on the job.  She enjoyed mopping.  So I make a half mop half Harley apparatus.  I realize its good and bad, ying and yang, reference and I like it. We all have these sides of ourselves that are rough, and sides that our soft.  This interview was all about finding out what I could about both.  I also painted a wall (kids washable paint) and it reads "not your average janitor".  What is your average janitor?  Who is your average janitor? If there is one thing I have learned from this interview is that you just never know the depth of a person until you ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment