Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Librarians...

For my interview I spoke to librarians at Zimmerman, The Fine Arts and Design library, and at The Center for Southwest Research. I asked them all questions surrounding the defacement of books and whether or not it was prevalent. The only librarian who saw the most vandalism was the one at the Fine Arts library. She said that the musicians always wrote annotations on the different scores and that people would cut out different pictures from the art books. She said that many of the erotic books ended up getting cut up because either the readers wanted the picture, or found it too vulgar for public display. All of the librarians agreed that they viewed people writing or drawing in books as vandalism and wished people would consider those who want to use the books next. I told them about my art project with the post it notes and asked them I they considered it vandalism, and they said that because it was aesthetically pleasing and didn't add or take away to the book that they didn't consider it vandalism. The librarian at The Center for Southwest Research said they never had a problem with vandalism due to the strict protocol surrounding the use of their books. All three interviews were relatively bland, so I think I should consider talking to the people who read the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment