Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Interview With a Bus Driver

 
My most recent project was located at a bus station. I chose this location because many people cross paths with each other at bus stops and bus stations and I like the subtle communication that people use in public transportation. For example, sometimes you might strike up a conversation with the person sitting next to you, while other times your ride might be filled with silence. No matter what happens on city buses or trains, I always find myself becoming very observant of my surroundings and the body language of the people accompanying me on the ride. I can't help but wonder what each person's story is. For this reason, I would like to continue exploring bus stops and train stations as a cite for more public art projects, or possibly using buses and trains themselves as public art. I interviewed a city bus driver. 

The bus driver I interviewed asked me to not use her name in the assignment, so I will just refer to her as Amy. She is a middle aged woman and told me that she has been working in the transit department with the City of  Albuquerque for 6 years. 

Sam: Describe a typical work day.
Amy: I get up early, around 6 am, and take my two kids to school. I like to be there for them in the morning, so I don't start my shift until around 9 am. This gives me time with the kids before school. Then I usually drive my route for a few hours and get a break. I get several breaks during the day.

S: Do you typically talk to people who ride the bus?
A: Sometimes people will initiate conversation with me, but mostly I spend my shifts without talking to anyone. Usually the people who talk to me are the ones who always do--the regular riders. It's funny because I have a job where I transport a lot of people, but my job hardly involves interaction with all of the passengers. It's only loading, unloading, stopping, and going.

S: How do you think public transportation benefits the community and connects people?
A: I see hundreds of people every day. They are just coming and going with their own things to do and everyone is on their own schedule. Public transportation is a great service to the people who live in Albuquerque. It gives people the means to get where they need to go, but I think it is also a community experience.

S: Do you think public art projects centered around bus stops and bus stations would benefit the community or not? If so, in what way would art be a positive addition to these  public spaces?
A: I know that the city used to have a contest where kids from schools in Albuquerque could get their art on the sides of the city buses. I  don't think we do it anymore. I think people liked seeing art on the sides of the buses like that.
S: If you could organize a city-wide public art project centered around bus stops and bus stations, what type of project do you think would be the best? (mural, sculpture, etc.)
A: I think I would like to see a project that involves input from community members. Like a project that was initiated by the community and they could help see it through. That sort of thing always means more to me than just a big sculpture next to a bus stop. People like to be part of things.

I also emailed two of the higher-ups from the City of Albuquerque Department of Transit, but none of them have emailed me back about setting up an interview. I would like to get their perspective as well, so hopefully they will contact me sooner rather than later.

I liked talking to Amy. It was interesting to hear about her life and her kids. I would like to make a point to continue talking to the bus drivers when I use the city buses, because I think they would appreciate the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment