Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Money doesn't grow on trees...

I wanted to stick to my original theme of giving value to something that is undervalued, in nature. That was my goal when I decorated old stumpy. So when I was thinking about what to do for project #2, I tried to think in terms of value which is how I came up with the concept of money. This is a fallen tree in Taos, New Mexico, and I put different coins (quarters, British pounds, nickels, etc) in the grooves of the stump. I picked this location because the tree is located behind a Buddhist temple, by a lake. It's a tourist-y area, with a high volume of traffic during the day. I figured if people were hiking or just passing through on their way to another location, they'd see it.

Considering how windy it's been, my first attempt at a "money tree" failed. I tried to attaching dollar bills to the leaves of a tree by the duck pond at UNM, but, the wind kept picking up and blowing the dollar bills away. Then I tried taping them to the trunk of the tree, but the wind still carried them off. Eventually, I realized I was probably going to go into debt if I kept trying this method.  So, I gave up on using dollar bills and settled on coins. And then I decided that UNM seemed like an overly obvious place, so I decided to find a tree inTaos because my family and I were going up there this weekend, anyways.


I only posted this one picture because the rest came out super blurry and I really thought this on captured how peaceful and beautiful the lake was.

1 comment:

  1. I like that both of your projects have altered trees. Because of this one being at a temple, it feels like a shrine. That is a really interesting strategy for giving value to something undervalued. And there are plenty of examples of hand-made public shrines. What other objects do we associate with shrines? Is the Buddhist temple important, or could you make a similar shrine anywhere?

    ReplyDelete