Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Project II: Duck Pond

I chose the duck pond for my site because it's so well known and liked not just through the campus but through the city. People come to walk around it, children come on field trips, I've even seen a few weddings there.
My original idea was to let the public not only comment but also take the photos for this next project. 
So I got a disposable camera,
left a note,
and tied it to a tree.
This project isn't site specific in that it would only work in a specific site, but it is site specific in that the outcome will be different wherever this is done.
I did hit a speed bump though. By the next morning, this camera was gone. Just gone. So that day I went around with my own point-and-shoot camera and asked the people I saw sitting around the duck pond to take a picture of their favorite part of the area. These are the photos I got from them:








This was the outcome. I made the photos smaller than I had them last time to give more people to write. This shot was taken shortly after I put it up, so there aren't very many comments yet. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the project concept, and even though it didn't work as planned you adapted it really well. On one hand, you could ask permission to do something like the original idea. Some places might like the idea of collecting people's favorite memories and posting them to a bulletin board. Or you could continue with lending your camera and helping them photograph something. The duck pond might not have the kind of significant memories you are asking for. Do you change the place, or change the prompt?

    ReplyDelete