Monday, February 6, 2012

Whimsical Creations




For this project I created two pieces. Both were placed at a public park, and both were meant to convey notions of childhood imagination with a Willy Wonka quality.  They both also creatively interact with the environment: the lolly pop being placed on a pole and the bow tie "belted" to a tree.  The first one, lolly pop, was made out of a ball, plastic bags, painted logo, and ribbon.  I used the lolly pop theme to change an ordinary pole into something whimsical and creative.  The bright pinks and reds pop against the boring grey.  The second piece I did was a bow tie.  I made this out of cloth, and a belt.  I also incorporated a quote which goes:  "The books I read and life I lead are sensible, safe and mild.  I like calm hats, I don't wear spats, but I want my bow ties wild".  I love how the zebra print bow tie encompasses the "wild" of the quote.  I think this conveys an uptight persons way of showing spunk and creativity.  Perhaps it is seen by the viewer as encouragement to indulge in individuality, creativity, and imagination.  I also like the juxtaposition of the bow tie and writing in a nature-esque setting.  For although the meaning of the piece goes well in its setting, the piece itself stands out in its environment, a unique encouragement for the passerby to see the world in a new light, if only for a moment.  Change the way a person sees the world, create a clever reinterpretation, add beauty where it seems absent.... these are reasons for people to create.

2 comments:

  1. Your installation encourages us to see the ordinary with child-like wonder. Is there a place, other than a park, where this different way of seeing could be valuable?

    Look up Zonenkinder
    http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zonenkinder/popular-interesting/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I placed these objects in a park, which is a place where imagination is perhaps already encouraged. If I had placed my objects on a prison, government or corporate building, or concrete jungle the objects would stand out far more boldly and symbolically.

    ReplyDelete