Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Well if you really mustache...





I had an incredibly difficult time thinking of a project.  I tried and tried to think of something I was passionate about that could translate into "public art."  I'm passionate about facial hair.  It's a strange passion but I like it.  I love seeing someone, preferably a man, with an impressive mustache.  I think growing a mustache is another way of expressing oneself.  I wish I was able to grow one but that would be socially unacceptable.  A mustache is something that I can't fully participate in but can at least appreciate and share my passion for with others.

I know many people mess with the bronze statues so this project may not seem that unexpected.  For me, however, putting something like this out there for a bunch of people to see is unexpected.  I'm incredibly shy and always have been.  I feel like for me this project was unexpected because I was putting myself out there to be judged and this is something that I almost never do.  It was a baby step into the world of public art.  This project helped me get an idea of how to go about expressing myself in a way that a lot of people would see.  I think now I am ready to do something bigger and bolder for my next project.

1 comment:

  1. This simple cut out is funny and changed our interpretation of the existing sculptures. How can you give a mustache, or something similar, to someone who could use one?

    Look up various takes on “the beard hat”
    http://beardhead.com/

    ReplyDelete